Captivating. Irresistible. Transformative.
Day Prep Private School is a fully accredited, in-person learning option for children in grades K – 12 for the 2020-2021 school year and beyond. In addition, we provide support to those attending other programs.
To get started right away:
- Review the Summary and Pricing Sheet linked above
- Give us a call at 858.255.8135—your questions answered.
- For in-location services, set up a tour and/or shadow day.
- For in-home pods, tell us about your needs.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Day Prep Private School Difference
Here is what distinguishes us . . .
- In-person, accredited, 21st century skills-based education
- Captivating project-based, experiential learning
- Low student-teacher ratio learning that enables customization to the individual
- Proven methods that lift the ceiling on learning so achievement soars
- Reading levels brought to a minimum standard of at least two years above grade level
- Math becomes readily achievable with a 4-step process students master as a foundation
- Students write daily and publish hardbound books across genres
- Students read self-selected, classic literature on a daily basis to become critical, habitual, and passionate readers
- Students publish their own scientific journals and history books as real-world scientists and historians
- Trauma-informed teachers create emotional and physical safety in our school pods so learning can flourish
- Teachers trained to the level of an educational therapist, evaluated and provided expert training on an ongoing basis
- Keystone habits of sleep, nutrition, and exercise are taught and actively supported for families
- Parents receive coaching with monthly Power Parenting sessions and similar opportunities
- In non-COVID times, cherished school traditions and events strengthen and bind the community
- High-quality education at a lower cost
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to pay the full year tuition? Tuition is contracted for the full year and total tuition due is prorated to your individual start date.
- If my child’s school re-opens, am I obligated to pay the full year? Day Prep is a wholly child-focused program (not teacher, parent, or government-focused). We do not support ping-ponging children back and forth between programs. Children have been profoundly impacted by this pandemic, experiencing a host of disruptions and losses; we witness everyday the toll this is taking on them. The best interest of your child is to receive an in-person education in a program that she or he can dive into and cherish.
- What curriculum do you use? Day Prep’s curriculum was first accredited by WASC in 2009. Dr. Warren Stephenson of our WASC visiting committee said in his final report “Day Prep students are working smarter, not harder. Day Prep methods will revolutionize education.” With the exception of math which is taught with two published curricula, Day Prep’s 21st century curriculum is based on the teaching and philosophy of the school’s founder, Cara Day.
- If I choose a 3- or 4-hour day and sometimes want a longer day, can I do that? Yes, Level Up is available to augment the school day on a flexible basis at $20 per hour, whether your child is attending in our location or is part of a home pod. This time allows for specialized instruction and educational enrichment in a specific academic area for your child including Spanish, additional performing arts, and fine arts.
What Families Are Saying About Day Prep Private School
“This is how teaching should be.” –Mrs. Duce, Soledad, Day Prep Teacher
““Mamma, at Day Prep I never feel left out, my feelings aren’t hurt and I have not cried once when you pick me up because someone was mean to me.” –Primary grades student
“We are so happy with our teachers and locations. Very grateful for everything!!”
“Day Prep Private School is the best!”
“Hi! Thanks for checking in with us! My kids are SO happy with Day Prep. My daughter is really coming alive. I am grateful for Miss Keefer and the social/emotional component of Day Prep. I also really enjoyed the Power Parenting session and follow-up resources. I am sad we aren’t able to get to know the other parents and teachers better due to COVID, but I’m hopeful we will have more opportunities as the year progresses. I’m also looking forward to some Level Up extracurricular options for the kids! Can’t wait! Thank you for everything!”
“Happy Child – Happy Heart.”
“Sienna enjoyed her first week. She only had positive things to say about her teachers, the environment, and the work she did this week.
Thanks so much for a great back-to-school first week! We look forward to a wonderful learning environment in the year ahead.” — High school student parent at Mission Bay
“We are so thankful for fun, engaging teachers! Mr. Rice and Me. Montalvo are full of life and energy. Both of our girls are reading up a storm, excited to get to school in the morning, and seem encouraged and inspired. Thank you, Cara and team. ❤️💕❤️💕”
“My son LOVES Miss Keefer and every day is SO excited to get up and go to school! My husband and I couldn’t be happier with our Day Prep decision!”
“The excitement I witness in my children when their teacher, Miss Moulton, arrives each morning truly puts a smile on my face and warms my heart. They run over to start class immediately and eagerly assist in carrying the picnic blanket out to the backyard for their morning meeting.”
“I’m grateful for Day Prep.”
“For my child to learn and develop a love for learning”
“Our son is loving his time at the Mission Bay venue, especially the outside time. Thank you!”
All I can say is that after two years, Day Prep Private School has changed my son’s life and my families’ for the better. My son is being loved in a way that no other teachers have loved him. He finally feels confident and is striving to be the person he is—in his little genius self. The team goes way above and beyond for us all. I am truly grateful to have these people in our lives. Cara, Thomas, Bethany, Andrew and Big Robert: Thank You for teaching us with your hearts. We Love You XXX.”
“Thankful!!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!!”
“Great work, you guys! We’ve had an excellent week. Overall, our School Pod is exceptionally happy. The teachers are great and very adaptable to the kids’ needs.”
“I am grateful that my kids are LOVING school. The first week seemed easy to them, but I trust that they will be challenged! Great first week in this new ‘school pod.’ So far they seem inspired and excited and open! Thank you.”
“Our 7th grader had a great week. It was like we started to see her old energy and light re-emerge. Looking forward to learning more about enrichment classes so we can give her more daily Day Prep!”
Notes from informational meeting attendees:
“I am so incredibly impressed with Cara’s vision for children’s education. Her programs are organized and well-thought-out and are ideal for both younger and older children looking for more personalized in-person education, which is even more important during these difficult and unknown times. I have amazing respect and admiration for the work that she has done to build this unique and special niche in K-12 education.” ~Lauren Weiss, Ph.D., M.Ed., mother of 2 enrolled children, ages 10 and 12
“The shadows of virtual learning and further school closures were looming over us. At the very least, I wanted someone to take ‘homeschooling’ off my plate. However, what we found is a program, an educational leader, and a community that would not only preserve the magic of education in uncertain times, but a curriculum and education style that is revolutionary. One that I’ve been itching for, always knowing in my heart, ‘it could be done so much better.’ Thanks to Cara and Day Prep Private School, I’m now going into Fall 2020 with excitement and pure confidence that we have preserved the magic and stability of school using pod learning in these unpredictable times. I suspect we will never go back to the status quo.” ~Parents of 2
“We learned so much about the concept of school and how children learn in general. Wow. Just didn’t know what we didn’t know.”
~Parents of 2
“Our kids do not want to do online learning. We are done with that. This is a way for our children to not only stay on track but get ahead and in meaningful ways, not busy work, worksheets, and the c%$# they were doing. My kids are going to be publishing books, doing math at their level, and actually getting time to read in school. The social/emotional curriculum is so strong and that really stood out. Day Prep has been there for us for 4 years, and now it will be our school home. Grateful.”
~Family with 3 children
“I like that there are several options and there is flexibility built-in as things change with COVID. Day Prep is responding to the emotions and the academics. My girls will love the fact that science and social studies are project-based, not just textbooks and worksheets. They are beyond excited. I love it.”
~Mother of 2
“This meeting affirmed much of what I knew to be true but couldn’t put into words. I have a clear path forward now, feeling much better if you can believe that. We have enjoyed the newfound time with our kids and the Level Up program to add on to the school pods is perfect for us.”
~Father of 3
“We see this as a real growth opportunity for our child for at least this next school year. We can see after that.”
~Parent of primary grade student
Thank you, parents!!
Please fill out one of the following forms below. You will receive a reply or phone call.